Although within the city limits, near the southern end of Genesee street, it was doubtless intended for the use of the dwellers in Scottsville and Chili, for it is said to have been established in 1812, when there were no residents here.
It has always been known as the Rapids burying-ground.
While there were some few Catholics interred at Mt.
Hope in early days, the great majority of that communion, practically all of them, preferred to bury their dead in ground consecrated by their church, and so the trustees of St.
Hope in being located so far from the dwellings of the living, several persons formed themselves into a corporation in 1892 and bought one hundred acres of land just north of the former, where the grounds were at once laid out in a suitable manner and were tastefully decorated, the result being that lots were speedily purchased and interments are very frequent in the lovely Riverside cemetery.
One other place of the dead might have been mentioned before, on account of its antiquity.
Hope Cemetery in 1985, the remaining 600 bodies were left at the existing site.
At the intersection of Mendon Center, Tobey and Calkins Roads. At that the time 30 interments were transferred to the Pioneer and Pittsford cemeteries. See: Mendon Cemetery, Mendon See: Miller Cemetery, Mendon Pittsford-West Bloomfield Road, north of Cheese Factory Road Interment records not known to have survived. In 1891 Lakeview Cemetery was organized just to the north of Beach Ridge. The Bradstreet Cemetery is located on Culver Road at Sea Breeze.Many valuable items were saved by quick-acting church members, but the cemetery records which were stored in the church were completely destroyed.The only record of burials prior to 1867 was the information gleaned from the gravestones and the names of those persons buried in unmarked graves were lost forever.This page is meant to provide a clear and in depth study into the cemeteries of Monroe County and Rochester proper, as well as the records that remain for them, and how to find them, whether online or offline.One of the first duties of the new common council of Rochester was to provide a suitable resting-place for the dead.The early settlers had used for that purpose a half-acre lot on the corner of Plymouth avenue and Spring streets, by permission of its owners.